Tuesday, August 4, 2009

20 Really?


So, what were you doing 20 years ago tonight? I was at my wedding rehearsal! then a wonderful dinner at Casa de Salucci's in downtown Newton Falls. My mom cried through the rehearsal. I was directing the action. Chris, my dear friend Suzanne and I went back to my house to talk and laugh with my family. They left me around midnight, when Chris was officially kicked out. I couldn't sleep most of the night. Neither could Tabby, my cat. She new something was wrong. We finally settled down on the living room floor about 3 am, Tabby and me. The next day was a blur of hair, make-up, friends, dresses and HEAT. One of my favorite pictures is of me sitting in the dressing room with a fan under my dress. One of my least favorite is my dad being too unwell to walk me down the aisle, but my grandpa stepped in so I did't have to go alone. I still remember him saying, out of the corner of his mouth, "slow down." The funniest memory is of my brother Phil quietly leaving the ceremony to lose his cookies in the hall (that wasn't the funny part) and then 1)one of my uncles who was "helping" my dad had to clean it up, 2)Phil swept in as the recessional was playing and walked his lady out of the church, 3)one of the groomsmen on the cake had fallen over when we got to the reception,
representing Phil's exit, and 4)my mom telling how she just took everything in during the ceremony, but didn't notice that Phil had been gone at all when it had been about 30 minutes.
I loved almost everything about that day. I felt like Cinderella, or Eliza Doolittle (I could have danced all night). And today I'm still living "happily ever after." Happy 20 Honey! I love you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula and Chris,
CONGRATULATIONS on your 20th wedding anniversary! I guess I tried to watch everything, but then was told that Phil had left to get sick, and I hadn't even noticed. I was just watching the bride and groom, I guess.

It was a very HOT day and with a church with NO air conditioning, it wasn't too good. We were very glad that Grandpa was able to walk you down the aisle. It is really hard to believe that it has been 20years already! We all survived that HOT day and glad that you are still "GOING GREAT". So much has happened in those 20 years! WOW!!

Both of you gave us our first 4 grandsons! This is truly a GIFT.

Thanks for the memories!

Have a great anniversary dinner.

Love, Dad and Mom

Anonymous said...

I love you too sweetheart. I remember telling you that you could make it through the "short" ceremony even in the heat when you thought you were going to pass out.

Chris

Paula said...

Did you know then what you were in for? You are still my rock!

'gram" toth said...

seems just like yesterday! Can't believe it's 20 years! Congratulations and may God continue to bless you all!
Yes, I remember the heat!