Sunday, May 17, 2009

Identity

Some pictures of the fun.

There is a song by Switchfoot that goes, "This is your life. Are you who you want to be?" For a while, when I would hear that, I would answer, "NO". I'm just not. Yesterday I got to be the person I want to be, for just a time, and it was wonderful. Fred had his birthday party yesterday. He had some friends over, and we all played outside. I played volleyball, I shot hoops with Chris while the kids played badminton. I got to sit and enjoy our beautiful piece of property. I had good conversations with teens that I love. Everyone was included, even the brothers. I didn't allow my back, or the fact that the last two days had been overwhelming and not at all how I needed them to go to ruin the "now". I just did it. I just enjoyed it. I lived in the moment. After everyone left and we were de-briefing with Fred and getting ready for bed, it hit me.... I got to be who I want to be. I hope and pray that I can move on from there to become who I want to be rather than just glimpse it occasionally.
I praise God that Fred has good friends and who want to come to his home. The rain held off until just before the end. Everything was ready even though plans changed A LOT. God is good.

3 comments:

liz said...

I love those moments, too. Last night Taylor, Laurel and I were sitting in the den (not sure how we ended up there--there is much more comfortable seating in almost every other room in the house), just talking, dreaming, laughing. It lasted about an hour. And in the middle of it I had one of those moments of clarity: "This is precious! This is EXACTLY how this evening is meant to be spent. Enjoy it--AND enjoy knowing you know it." It was awesome.

Thanks for sharing--happy, happy birthday, Fred--wish we could have been there!

heidiannie said...

I have finally gotten to realize that I better make friends with who I am- because I sure spend a lot of time with myself. I'm glad you enjoyed the way you spent your day- maybe i isn't about WHO you are, but how you spend your time.

"grandma" toth said...

Sure looks like a fun time for you and your "guests".