Monday, August 23, 2010

My Dad

The last picture I had taken with just the two of us. This totally epitomizes my dad. Look at his expression. I'm mean, not to be messed with. But he's wearing a boa and crown so how rough can he be? Abbey had him around her little finger. I guess I probably did too.
Doing his favorite thing--walking through car shows.

My parents on their 43rd wedding anniversary in June. I love this picture of them.

My dad passed away on Friday, August 13th. What a terrible day! I think the reality is starting to sink in. With the shock that comes with such suddenness and then the tasks that need to be attended to, and the people who surrounded us, we were pretty busy over the last week. But now as we get back to "normal," there is time to think and realize. I stayed with my mom for the week in order to get some things done for her and with her. When I hadn't really done anything by Thursday, it dawned on me that perhaps I may just be there to be there. We shared a lot and cried some and laughed a lot. Coming home Friday was hard, but getting to my home and having to make lunch for everyone seemed impossible. Each day is better. Time is a healer. God is so gracious and merciful to us. We have friends who have called, sent cards, brought meals, and held us up in prayer. I'm sure I'll post more later, but as I went through some pictures, I just wanted to post them for right now and remember.

5 comments:

LindaSue said...

oh Paula, as I mentioned before, I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. While I didnt personally know him, you can see the love you have for him, and the love he had for his family. May God continue to comfort you during this time. I'm so thankful you all have God's strong arms to lean on and be wrapped in.....hugs and blessings to you all, Linda

liz said...

He was obviously a great man, whose legacy is clear in his children and grandchildren--integrity, strong work ethic, love. I'm so sorry for all of you. I know that you will allow God to use this grief to bring glory Him. Much love...

Uncle John and Aunt Martha said...

Nice pictures of your dad! We enjoyed seeing them!

Jane Henry said...

Paula, Thank you for you blog. I enjoyed looking at it. When I got on it, Kim, and my friend, Dolores, were here. He was grouchy, but he had a crown and a pink boa on, and that tells it all.
Love to all of you.
Mom

"grandma" Toth said...

Paula, loosing a parent is never easy. It becomes easier the mroe we rely on Him for comfort and encouragement. I well remember my brother calling me and saying "Dad's gone" and me? I asked Where? His reply: To Heaven. I just couldn't believe my dad was gone even though he was 94. I stillm iss him. Would love to let him know what our grands are doing. How he loved to hear about them. I really feel he and mom know how their great grands are doing because they knew the grands so well. I am so thankful for the legacy they left, and I know that someday we will all rejoice together in heaven. It's never easy (3 yrs. now for me) but I rejoice in the lessons I learned and the examples they were to me. Praying for all of you.