Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Nieces






I adore my nieces and nephew. I wish they were closer so that I could see them more often. I suppose it's similar to grandkids--I don't have to discipline them, but I get to enjoy them. All but one of mine are younger than my own children, so I get the joy of little ones again when I am with them, which is not enough. I just got to spend a couple of days with Ashley in South Carolina. I hope to see Lily, Tommy and Rosie for a day in September. It's been two years since I've seen them! In June Abbey and Nichole came up to spend the week with us. We had so much fun. Being the mother of sons, I miss out on many "girl" things, which I suppose isn't all bad. When Abbey and Nichole were here, I had the opportunity to indulge. We shopped, we ate, we laughed, we tried on clothes, we went to a tea party. We even tried our homemade slip and slide. I am so blessed to be Aunt Paula. The boys love being with their cousins as well. They get to do things and experience things that are outside of their normal lives: girl things. I love that my boys are so close with their cousins in Virginia, and how I hope that they will have more opportunities to connect with their other cousins. Those are connections that are unique to cousins--a belonging that doesn't exist in other relationships.

2 comments:

Jane/Gram said...

Paula, Yes, it is the same as grandkids. I really miss seeing them all the time. I was glad that you, Sam and Pete were able to get down here. Dad hasn't seen the grandkids up in Ohio for two years, also. It has been a year for me, but time goes by so fast and the kids grow so fast. Looked like they had a great time on the homemade slip and slide, and that is the way to improvise!
Hope we can all get together for a family reunion at some point,
somewhere, very soon. Love to all

heidiannie said...

I know just how you feel about nieces. I started collecting them as prized family members when Elizabeth was born. I was eleven and knew that this girl was someone very special. And then as a mother- I had two boys. So all the nieces from over the years became even more special- somehow they were MY girls!

Thanks for sharing- it made me even more thankful for the women God put into my life!