Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Glasses

 Sam has gotten glasses.  He was complaining that he would "fuzz out" while doing his school work, and then he started getting some headaches.  I took him to the eye doctor, and sure enough, the numbers were off enough for a pair of specs to be in order.
 I think he looks very handsome in his new glasses.  He says they help, but they are also a little strange.  He doesn't like using them when we are riding in the car.  He says it's too weird looking through two sets of glass.  If it helps him do better work with less complaining, I'm all for it. 
 The doctor said they would help with the eye strain.  Hmmm.  I wonder if that can be brought on from hours of reading by the flashlight each night when you are supposed to be asleep? 

 These are my glasses.  The left are the readers and the right are the drivers.  Except now they get more use than driving.  When I first got the distance glasses, I would use them if I were driving at dusk in a place where I really needed to see the signs, or when we went to the movies and sat in the back. 
Since turning 40, I find that I need them to see the guide on the TV--and sometimes even the picture on the TV.  Chris says I'm vain and that's why I won't wear them all the time.  Not true.  I don't want my eyes to adjust to my glasses and get worse (I know that's a myth, but why risk it).  Unfortunately, now when I don't wear them, I have eye strain.  My readers were a necessity when I was teaching and grading paper after paper.  It's not that I can't see, it's that my eyes HURT when I don't wear them and try to read a text book or grade papers.  Here's my clue that it's time for a re-check.  We were watching television the other night, and I was trying to finish a book at the same time.  Fred looked over at me and said, "Really?  You're rockin both glasses at the same time?"  I'm sure it looked funny, but I am into function and not fashion at this point.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Love Sam's new glasses! He looks so grown up in them.

heidiannie said...

Glasses are such a fashion statement! LOL!
I've been wearing glasses/contacts/glasses all my life. Now, when my grandson came upon me putting on eye makeup without my glasses on, he said=" I don't like to see your eyes naked, Grandma, put your glasses on!"
I do feel naked without them on- and get headaches- and basically can't see.
I think Sam looks great in glasses!

Jane said...

I think that Sam looks older and smarter in his glasses, as does Nichole in her glasses.

I am so used to wearing my glasses, and have had to wear them all the time since I was in 1st. grade. It is a good thing that I don't wear eye make-up, since I can't see to put it on whithout my glasses on.

Hope that you can get lenses in you old frames, Paula.