Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Best 4th of July Ever!

Fireworks display in Newton Falls on the 4th
Eagerly anticipating the fireworks

Ben and Nathaniel Toth watching the parade in Newton Falls


Ron and Tamara Toth and baby Josiah
Fred, Tabitha, Hannah, Caleb, Ben and Nathaniel with Lydia and Moriah in the stroller behind
Growing up in Newton Falls had its perks. The 4th of July celebration was always the best around. This year this town of 5,000 drew 50,000 for their fireworks display. It was always a ton of fun. My grandma lived a block away from the park. We would park there and walk downtown to the parade if we weren't in it (which we usually were). The parade lasted about an hour or more with firetrucks from all around, baseball teams, the band, the baton twirlers, etc. Then there would be concerts at the park along with the carnival which lasted for 4 days. We were never aloud to ride any of the rides there, but it was always fun to see who was around and eat the carnival food. Then we would have a picnic at Gram's and walk down to get our places for the fireworks. When I was little didn't like the loud noise, so I stayed with Gram and we would watch from the back porch. As I got older, the lure of the crowd won out. After the fireworks we would walk back to Gram's and eat ice cream and watch the traffic for the next 45 minutes or so. It was the highlight of the year. Many times my cousin from Mississippi was in as well, which made it all the more fun.
Fast-forward to our first year of marriage. It's the 4th of July and we are right outside of Washington D.C. We spent the entire day at our apartment. Chris wasn't feeling well, we didn't know where to go, and I watched the fireworks on T.V. with a box of tissues. I knew the end had come. Since that time, we have done many different things for the 4th. We even spent several years on the mall in D.C. listening to the National Symphony play the 1812 Overture, cannons and all. But they never compare to the 4th of my childhood.
This year we got to spend July 4th in Newton Falls with our dear friends Ron and Tammy Toth and their 8 children. (More about them in another blog). It was just as wonderful as I had remembered. The parade was even longer than an hour with the boys and the Toth children getting way more candy than I thought possible. They loved every minute of it and so did I! The Marine's were even there with all of their cool machines driving down Broad Street. After spending the day visiting old friends and relatives, we were ready for the fireworks. God is so good to me. We even got to park 4 doors down from my Gram's old house and walk past it on the way there. We plowed our way through scores of people jammed into the walk way of the carnival. I only saw one person that I knew growing up, a former band member. But the atmosphere was electric. As we sat and waited for the fireworks and talked and laughed with our children, I remembered all of those good July 4th's of the past. This is what I've been looking for every 4th for 20 years. The boys couldn't believe how good the fireworks were. They lasted 45 minutes. Newton Falls definitely goes all out to bring an amazing show of fireworks. We oohed and aaahed over each amazing light show. When it was over we walked that familiar path back to Gram's, but we had to keep going. I gazed longingly as several people went into my Gram's house for their after the fireworks ice cream. It was bittersweet. We navigated our way through the crowd and were back at the Toth's within 15 minutes because we are locals and we know the back way. As I lay in bed that night I reveled in the fact that I was home again---at least for a day!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula,

Yes, Newton Falls have always had the best fireworks around. I know that I grew up with them all my life. I really miss them, and the great party we had at Mom's place after the fireworks.

We want to go to Newton Falls for the next July 4th celebration!
I am sure that my memories will come flooding back to me as well.

I marched in quite a few parades, too. It was always great.

Glad that the boys got to see them and get a taste of what we grew up with on the 4th of July.

Anonymous said...

You're all invited back next year for the fireworks (Your mom and dad, too!) and July 4th celebration. Nothing like Newton Falls when it comes to celebrating the freedoms we enjoy so much.

Unknown said...

Wow! All those kids are getting so grown up these days. Thanks for posting some fun photos.

Martha said...

Your post reminds me of my memories of Doylestown! I felt the same way about our carnival and sitting on the bleachers at the baseball diamond anticipating the sulphur smelling residue that would rain down on us as the fireworks went off. I LOVED those days! This year I spent Canada Day putting a sick kid to bed and just listened to the whistles of the neighbor's cheap things going off. Another year ....

Anonymous said...

We attended the Fourth of July fireworks in Newton Falls forty one years ago - me with an almost three week old infant in my arms, flinching with every bang!

Paula said...

I bet it just wasn't as exciting as ours was then! You were very brave!

LindaSue said...

That's the first picture I saw of Josiah (and I can't even really see him...) -- thanks for the great memories of NF 4th of July! And for updates on my family!