Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer

It's official. Summer is half over. I can't believe it. Before this week you couldn't have convinced me that this was true. The boys have been off for 5 weeks, and start 5 weeks from today. Five weeks seems like a very long time in some respects. Especially when 3 boys are sitting around with nothing to do. However, the speed of time never ceases to amaze me. I have only been in my bathing suit once this summer. Maybe we need to do that today. Swim team is over on Saturday. Peter and Sam are both swimming in the finals. Then we will have the hazy days of August to play. I hope that we can go to some fun places still before it all comes to an end. June always offers so much promise, but July and August are hard-pressed to deliver on those promises.

Fred's summer is actually over this week. He started skills camp for football, and then 2-a-days start on Friday. Now that he has moved on to JV, they even hold practices on Saturday. Isn't that special! Today he went to lifting this morning and is now out putting hay in the barn and making some hard to come by cash. He will go to skills camp at 4:30 tonight. I worry about that, but Chris tells me, "He's fine. he's young." I hope so! I admire him so much for sticking with this all summer and now into camp. He has pushed himself hard at each lift and will continue to do so through camp. I wish I had that drive and determination.

2 comments:

liz said...

Taylor's summer also ends with band camp starting. He's excited, though. It seems like I'm the only one who thinks it's all going so fast...

LindaSue said...

Paula, he may be fine, he may be young, but PLEASE make sure he's getting enough water and the coach isn't pushing them too hard (yeah, it's part of training, but still) -- my former boss's 16 year old son dropped dead in the middle of 2-a-days a year ago this week. He was fine, excellent health, and young. It was determined to be caused from heat and not enough water (the coaches were trying to toughen up the players).