Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

Can you believe it has been 7 years since the attacks on our country? The boys were to wear red, white and blue today to commemorate the day. I asked Sam and Peter this morning if they knew why they were wearing those colors. Sam said it was Memorial Day. Close. Peter related it to a book we are reading about Mary Slessor, a missionary to Africa. Not really. When we were attacked, Peter was 1 1/2 and Sam had just turned 4. They honestly have no recollection. Ben and Fred were both in school then, Ben in kindergarten and Fred in 3rd grade. It was a gorgeous fall day. I was finally going to make the trek up 95 to Sam's Club. I just couldn't get out of the house that morning. I had Peter and Sam buckled in their car seats and had to go back into the house for the 3rd time. The phone rang. I had Sam and Peter get out of the van. Then I had to call Chris at work. When he answered with "Hi" rather than the usual "Examiner Fulton," I wondered. He told me he was fine, which I was glad to hear, but had no idea why he was telling me this. Then he told me to turn on the T.V. I saw the second plane go into the towers. It was surreal and shocking. We talked for some time. He said that he and some of his co-workers were watching it on T.V. Then I heard that a plane was headed to the Pentagon, across the highway from where Chris works. What a day. He could see the smoke from his office. They were sending everyone home for the day. He and some friends went to the apartment of a co-worker who lived nearby to wait for the traffic to ease some. This was before cell phones--in our family anyway. My trip to Sam's was not to be yet again. I remember spending most of the day on the phone with Chris's family and my family. I weeded the flower beds and the sidewalk out back with the radio next to me. Chris did make it home at about 4. I was so thankful and happy to see him. My older boys came home on the bus around then and had no clue. My neighbor worked at the Pentagon. She was fine. My most vivid memory of that time is that everyone wanted to help. Everyone wanted to make a difference in any way they could. People were eager to be asked to sacrifice and give, especially of their time and energies. It was a huge disappointment when the call was for money rather then man-power. I regret that our country missed out on the opportunity to mobilize its citizens for a cause greater than consumerism or selfishness. I know there were many who did help and go, but for the majority, even here, so close to one of the sites, the call was for money. I understand that. You can only organize and equip so many people, but I wonder what our country would look like today had we taken advantage of that desire to be a part of protecting and preserving our country. Praise God for His protection. May He sustain us and have mercy on us all. Where were you on that day?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened to be in my school's office when a teacher came running in to announce what she had just seen on television...we all got quiet and stared at her. Could it be? It seemed impossible; but, we later learned it was true. The televisions were turned off for the remainder of the day in hopes that the children would have as normal a day as possible. Teachers knew the location of the few televions that could be watched for updates.
Whoever would have guessed that such a thing could happen in the United States of America?

Martha said...

What a powerful question, Paula. Where were we? Everyone has their own unique story about this awful day. I was at my desk at work IN CANADA!!! So far away from my homeland and what was going on there! Even though I was so far away, I still felt violated and shaken by the news that was running non-stop all day. Just writing this brings back all the feelings of disbelief of that day.

Anonymous said...

I was in Allentown, PA on a consultant assignment...on the Alzheimer's Unit. I distinctly remember asking why they had such a violent movie playing during breakfast and on the Alz. unit, at that. When I realized it was reality, I commented how grateful I was to be working in the boonies of PA, far away from all the destruction, only to be told I was in actuality only about 1.5 hrs. from NYC, about 2 hrs. from DC, and about the same from where the plane went down in PA. So much for the boonies in PA!
My dear friend and co-worker's nephew and his wife and 2 y/o son were on the second plane that hit the towers. He was on his cell phone to his mother telling her that they were going to hit the tower, but assured her that it was ok, because they were ready to meet the Lord. They were born again Christians. He even commented that they were praying for others on the plane, and not to grieve for them as they knew where they were going as a family! What faith! What a tragedy for all! It seemed like time stood still as we watched the day unfold in disbelief!