Thursday, June 19, 2008

Swim team




We have embarked on yet another sports season. Peter and Sam wanted to do swim team this year. Sam, Fred and Ben did it when Sam was about 6, but they decided that they would rather go to the pool for fun instead of work. This year, though, Peter was confident in the water, and one of their best friends is on the team. You have to be able to swim across the pool to make the team, but the coaches are very lenient. It's great because they really learn how to swim, and they learn all of the strokes. I took Peter to practice, but he decided he would rather play than swim across the pool. So I just let it drop and figured I would have a free summer. Well, they started asking again, but tryouts had already come and gone. My friend called me the first day that they went to practice and said that the boys could still try out if they were interested. They were, so we went. Ben is an adamant non-swim-team kid, but when I got there I discovered that one of his best friends was swimming. Perfect. He could swim and be with his friend all summer. I called him and ran home to bring him to tryouts. Sam and Peter made the team and loved practice. Peter already swims so much better, and they have only practiced for a week and a half. Sam had a good time as well and was excited about it. Ben got out of the pool wearily, walked up to me and, in a hoarse whisper cried, "IT's boot camp! I hate it and I don't ever want to do it again. And if I ever say I want to do it again, stop me!" You see, they have two sessions, 1 for the 10 and under and one for the 11 and up. Ben is 12. He said they had to warm up doing lots of ab exercises. Then, if they paused on any of their laps, they had to do 50 push ups. Because he hadn't swam for a while, he was afraid he was going to drown. When I talked to a friend at the meet last night, she said that her daughter had to do 100 push ups because she stopped to adjust her goggles. She now practices with the younger group. Needless to say, Ben's aspiring swim season is over. Sam and Peter, however, are doing very well. They had their first swim meet last night. Peter swam in the free style relay and the 25 meter free, and Sam swam the free style and the backstroke. They enjoyed themselves and improved their times. Swim on!


2 comments:

liz said...

Poor Ben! I would totally want to swim for fun and not work. I'm with him!

Anonymous said...

Hello all,

We were glad to see the pictures of the kids at swimming. Glad that Sam and Pete love it, and too bad that Ben doesn't. I guess Ben just wants to concentrate
on soccer, and no other sport.
It is good that they will learn all of the strokes and also enjoy it.
I would have a hard time getting into the cold water right away. It takes me a long time to get in the cool water.

Love, Gram