Friday, October 10, 2008

Happenings

Pre-poison ivy, above, and after climbing the tree, below


This week has been, well, normal. Busy. I feel less stressed, though, because I was able to be home more this week. It's a good thing, too, since our sink won't drain. We have had this problem for about a year, off and on. Usually the enzyme products will help it to drain. This time, however, nothing has worked. Thankfully, only our dishwasher and kitchen sink are affected. I have been doing dishes in pans and bowls and dumping the water we use outside. It makes me realize how privileged I am to have running water and modern conveniences. Chris, my wonderful Mr. Fix-it, plans on looking at it this weekend.




Sam decided to climb a tree at Peter's game this week. He came home from school yesterday with a rash on his face, arms, trunk and neck. I called the school nurse to see what she thought, but she had already left for the day. Instead, I talked with the secretary, whose son is in Sam's class. She said that her son had a rash similar in description last Friday, and it turned out to be Strep. I quickly called our doctor, who could see him if I could get there in 10 minutes. I did. So instead of dinner and a soccer game, we spent the afternoon at the doctor's. It's poison ivy. Thankfully it's not Strep, but oh poor Sam! He woke up this morning looking swollen. I don't like to sing the praises of medicine usually, but boy did that Prednisone work. When he got home from school today his eye wasn't at all swollen and much of the redness was gone. Soon we'll have our adorable Sam back. I'm hoping the affects of the steroids are minimal. This child doesn't require a lot of sleep to begin with. I promised him that I would include a regular picture of him along with his red, swollen one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happily, you found something to reduce the redness and swelling. Hopefully, the itching was lessened as well. :-)

LindaSue said...

Paula, if you have a local Watkins dealer, get some petro carbo salve. It'll seriously dry up poison ivy within a day, two at the most (same with zits, chicken pox, cold sores, and more). It's also great for getting rid of infections, drawing out splinters, healing dry, cracked skin, and more.

Anonymous said...

I feel for Sam (By the way, he sure is a cutie!), having just finished a bout with poison ivy on my arms and hand. Lindasue is right. Petro carm works great! Also took the itch out of it, much to my relief and amazement! (Ivy dry and caladryl gel didn't do the job)
Hope your week goes a bit better.

Anonymous said...

Paula,

Sam is lucky that his poison ivy didn't itch, mine did. It took two doses of predsozone for me, and I still had some bubbles left. He is a cutie with or without poison ivy!
Glad that your week wasn't too busy. Relax!
Hope that Chris fixed the drain. It is a blessing to have inside plumbing, when it works, and modern appliances.

Love, Mom

liz said...

Sam, you look great! I know you'll feel better very soon. In the meantime, see if you can get out of any chores (jk!).