Saturday, December 20, 2008

Goings on


Our friends have new puppies! They are breeding their Golden Retriever, and we've been waiting for the day. They are adorable! Chris says they look like rats or kittens when they are first born. We went to see them yesterday. These are Peter's kind of puppies. The one he held just fell asleep on his lap. He gets nervous when dogs jump up on him, so these are more his speed--for a while anyway.
I've been baking rather than blogging this week. I made buckeyes (twice), fudge, caramel corn for all of the teachers (it's addictive!), 7 layer bars, Santa snicker cookies (thrown that recipe away), sugar cookies, gluten free short bread, and hopefully some lemon squares. They aren't nearly as pretty as the pictures of cookies on Martha's blog (link to the left), but they are DELICIOUS. I gave away many of the buckeyes and some of the fudge, so I needed to make another batch for us to have and for my neighbors. We just love Christmas cookies. Fun to make and fun to eat!
I got this recipe for caramel corn from Karla Schlaefli when we lived in Maryland. I can't have it around much because I can't stop eating it.
Caramel Popcorn
3 qt. popcorn
3 cups mixed nuts
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo syrup
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1.Place popcorn and nuts in a large, shallow roasting pan (I use 2 cookie sheets) and place in a 250 degree oven while you prepare the caramel.
2. In heavy, 2 qt saucepan stir sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt.
3. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over med. heat.
4. Without stirring, boil 5 min. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in vanilla and baking soda then pour over popcorn mixture, stirring to coat.
6. Bake in a 250 degree oven, stirring occasionally, for 50-60 minutes.
7. Cool, break apart, and store in an air tight container tightly covered.

3 comments:

heidiannie said...

I used to make that Carmel Corn- it is a TERRIBLE temptation! Now I make popcorn granola and I've convinced myself it's healthy - so I don't feel guilty about eating it.

It is 6 cups of popped corn,2 cups oatmeal, 2 cups nuts, 1 cup oat or wheat bran, 1 cup coconut, and 1 cup each of honey and soy oil. Mix in a roasting pan - put in 250degree F oven and bake for at least 2 hours- stirring every 15 minutes or so.

I'm not so sure how good it is for me- but it is really GOOD!

Have a great New Year's Celebration, Paula!

Anonymous said...

Paula,
Why didn't I get any of thoe goodies?? You know how I love to eat!! Ha ha. Just kidding.

Martha said...

Hey, just so you know, I didn't make all those beautiful pictures that I posted! I only made the boring ones that I hid in a bag. :)

Thanks for the carmel corn recipe. I think maybe I'll make it for New Year's Eve so that I have to share it with everyone!