Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Where's the Snow?

Growing up in Ohio, I never felt the lack of snow. Usually the first flakes appeared around my birthday. I could trust that there would be enough snow to go sledding down the hill or tubing at the neighbors. Not so Virginia! We haven't had a good snow for a long time. Last year they gave us a token snow day. I think we had an inch. People here panic and things close for the threat of snow. I was teaching last year when one day it started to snow around noon. The kids were so excited that they were going to send us home. I kept telling them that there was no way they would send us home early for this. I was wrong! They were plannning on sending the students home, but the sheriff's office called the school and asked them to keep the kids until bus time. The students would have been leaving during the worst of the "storm," and the event was to be over by the time the buses came. Living in the south in winter is very strange. I kept the few students who were left busy until they released us for the day. When I walked downstairs at lunch, I was shocked to see a line of parents going out the door who had come to pick up their little dears so they wouldn't be out in the snow! I think the attendance woman said over 50% of the students went home. How insane! But I digress. I miss snow. I hope that we are up for a huge--12 inch or more--snow like the one that Ohio and Pennsylvania got last weekend. Two years ago it snowed quite a bit, and the boys were off the entire week of Valentine's Day. We had so much fun. The sun would melt the top of the snow during the day, but it would re-freeze at night. The boys had a blast on our hill with their sleds and snow boards. I'm envying those of you farther north right now. It looks like snow outside. It's dreary and gray and cold. But the clouds are empty. We still have another month or so, and in the hearts of my children hope springs eternal for that awesome snow fall.

6 comments:

LindaSue said...

You can have some of ours! I don't think I've seen this much snow EVER! We had over 4 feet during December alone, and January is supposed to be much worse (thankfully, so far it hasn't been). One "transplant" from Arkansas thought things would get better the afternoon of our first big storm...when the sun would come out and melt all the snow. Yeah, maybe if the temps would ever get above 0! Right now it's -33....WITHOUT the windchill! Here, there are usually 2 hour school delays each morning because of either snow or temps.....

liz said...

This year more than ever I am loving the snow and the winter. (I also got two new pairs of boots so I shouldn't have to have cold, wet feet anymore...in fact, maybe that's why I'm enjoying winter so much!)

Come visit! Although we have no really great sledding hill to offer--one thing I miss about Cambridge is that hill that was twice as high as our house!

Anonymous said...

I love snow! I hate driving in it- and cleaning the floor after all the snow puddles have dried into crusty patches- and I hate the dirty left-over snow that ends up looking like a pile of dirty underwear- but I love fresh falling snow! Good thing, too- because we have a whole lot of it!
-heidiannie

Paula said...

That hill in Cambridge was a doozy. I remember trying to find your place in a white out over Valentine's Day. That was fun.

Anonymous said...

I chuckled as I read your blog. Southwest Ohio is similar to Virginia in that there is little snow here compared to Northern Ohio and the snow that does fall causes strange behavior in those who are natives to the area. ;-)

Anonymous said...

And Newton Falls has it's share of snow now...and it's still coming, along with the Alberta Clipper with it's cold temp. (Maybe LindaSue is sending it from MN!) Looks beautiful, but I could do without the cold, freezing temps and the wind with drives the temps down even further. Enjoy "warm" VA!