Saturday, March 14, 2009


Flying buttresses (Fred's new favorite words)

Mosaic above the alter in the Resurrection chapel

Stained glass window above the main alter

This started out as a 10 foot wall of limestone. Two men came in to work one day, and someone handed them chisels and said to carve something out of that stone. It's amazing. The crosses are all covered in purple for the Lenten season.

This is the creation window at the back of the cathedral. It changes colors depending on the time of day and the weather.


Today we visited one of my favorite places in D.C. The Washington National Cathedral. Before we had so many children and moved to Virginia, we would go pretty regularly with guests to wonder at this amazing building. Since none of my children remember ever being here, it was a new and awe-inspiring visit for them. We took the tour, as we have in the past, and each time I learn something new. Each docent has different stories to tell. My favorite by far was the man who told us about all of the hidden details of the cathedral: the cannon on the door leading to the Canon's office, the block of wood that would be Judas but was left uncarved because of his betrayal, the Darth Vader gargoyle. I just love that stuff! Fred especially can't wait to go back. Me either!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula,

The National Cathedral is a very beautiful piece of architecture and is something that we can see many times and still see something different every time we are there. I do remember going with all the boys. I am glad that they are appreciating it now as they are older, since they didn't remember being there. We hope to go back and see it again, soon.

Love, Mom

liz said...

Ah! I recognized it in the first picture! I remember going to a garden fair there when Taylor was in a stroller. I NEEDED to go to this and somehow found one parking spot next to the church. Did you meet me there that time?

Thanks for the pictures--what a fabulous building!

Paula said...

Yes, I remember being there. I think we went together because I do remember praying about and praising God for that amazing parking space!

Martha said...

I LOVE that building!!! Thanks for the little stories to go along with the pictures.

heidiannie said...

Have you ever gone to the greenhouse around the back? I am a sucker for greenhouses- and theirs is really rather quaint.
I love the catacombs and the prayer nooks at the side- really all of the cathedral.

Now I want to go back.

Paula said...

You are welcome to stay with us if you come!