Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Refreshment


My friend Donna and I went to Virginia Beach for the weekend. This was the view out our balcony. We were able to watch the sunrise both mornings right out the window. What a great time talking, walking, praying, thinking. It was an oasis before the craziness of spring sets in. The weather could not have been better. It was an amazing weekend. I couldn't believe the number of people on the beach Saturday. There were people with dogs, bikes, skateboards, roller blades. There were surfers, swimmers, people lying on the sand. It didn't feel like a summer day, but you couldn't tell that from the people there. We decided to try a little cafe called "Our Daily Bread." It was about 10 blocks from our hotel, so we walked and talked in the sunshine. Ten blocks is a long way when you are hungry, and by the time we got there we were both famished. I had to get some food in me. The windows were dark, and there were no tables inside! And the nearest restaurant was called "Dough Boys California Pizza." Being gluten free, I wasn't sure that would be a good option. So we crossed the street to find a vending machine at the Day's Inn. The woman graciously changed a $50 for vending machine cash, and I eagerly gobbled my Snickers (protein and sugar). We walked back to our hotel and enjoyed the food we had packed for dinner that night. Being away was such a treat and, hopefully, the effects will be lasting.
Post script: I was feeling awful Friday morning, just sick to my stomach. I prayed earnestly that this wouldn't last through the weekend. All weekend I felt great. Then Sunday night it hit again and resulted in stomach flu! God spared me that weekend. I rejoiced in His kindness to me as I suffered Sunday and Monday!

4 comments:

liz said...

Sorry you were sick! But the sky picture alone makes me think the yukky times were worth it!

Anonymous said...

Paula,

The scenes from your balcony really looked great. I am sure that it was a very relaxing few days for the both of you. Now, you both can go home to your husbands and four kids and be better rested, well, now that you are feeling better, you can enjoy.

I guess that all the other people on the beach just had to get away and they were also glad that it was a very good weekend.

A weekend away is a good thing.

The hectic spring season will be here soon, and I know that you will be running the kids all over the place, but enjoy, because they grow up too fast.

Love, Mom

Martha said...

So glad you had a weekend away, Paula! Those are so refreshing aren't they? (Not that I would really know, but I THINK they would be! :)

heidiannie said...

Virginia Beach! Now I want to go there!