Friday, June 26, 2009

Today we get Fred from Impact VA. He has been building a ramp and repairing and painting a trailer in western Virginia. He says he's had a great time. He enjoys working, so I was excited for him to have this opportunity. It'll be good to see him again. Sam and Peter have been at Vacation Bible School all week, so Ben has been alone every morning. I've spent the week running errands and unpacking and packing.

Last night I sat down in the living room and saw that Michael Jackson had died. I was so shocked that I let out a suprised "noise." Ben tells me that he's never been so startled. To see that his life was over really hit me. Farrah Fawcett's death was expected. She'd battled cancer for 3+years, I believe. But Jackson's was sudden and unexpected. I haven't followed him since I was in jr. high/high school, but I had the Thriller album and spent much time listening to it and watching him on Friday Night Videos. People die every day, but for me, these celebrity deaths are so much more shocking for some reason. Perhaps it's because they seem bigger than life--their lives are separate from the rest of us. Plus, he was only 50! It made me think, once again, about the insecurity of life. We talked some about death at bedtime. Ben asked me if Jackson was a Christian. I have no idea, but his life certainly didn't reflect that. When I prayed with Sam and Peter, we talked about how for us the sting of death is gone. We don't have to be afraid of it anymore. We know that Jesus bought us. He loves us. We belong to him and so our eternity is secure. You just never know when that bus is going to come out of nowhere and take you out! I don't know where Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson are right now. But I'm sure that if they could come back, their message would be the same. Repent, turn to God, ask Jesus to save you and then live for Him every day. When it comes to death, nothing else really matters beyond that.

3 comments:

liz said...

I was also so surprised by Michael Jackson's death. He was young! (Well, he's always been just a few years older than me...)

LindaSue said...

it was a shock to me, too...Ed McMahon was expected...old age has a way of ending life eventually. So does cancer....but I've just been aching so badly for the loss of Michael Jackson, how totally lost he was. He had such an incredible life, so full and successful, according to the world (all three did), even though his past 15 years or so was so messed up. Just shows how unsatisfying life is, regardless of the successes, without the peace of Jesus.

"grandma" toth said...

Life is bu a vapor! Here today, gone tomorrow. So sad when someone is not prepared to leave this earth. Glad you could share with your boys the importance of being ready.