Sunday, May 25, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake

For more years than I care to remember I missed strawberry season. It seems to come so early here that it catches me by surprise. Nevermind that I've lived here for going on 19 years! This year I was ready. I kept an eye out for the ad and had my day planned. Then it rained, and rained, and rained. Finally on Friday after a great Bible study I made it to the plantation to pick strawberries. It was a cool day and the clouds were beautiful. The fields were nearly empty since it was a Friday noon. The smell when I walked into the field was so sweet. So I spent a quiet hour picking about 20 lbs. of strawberries. When we lived in Maryland, a friend of mine, Debbie Toth, said once that she had given up on strawberries. She said that they usually disappointed, and she couldn't take that kind of disappointment. They always looked and smelled so good, but then the taste just wasn't there to back it up. I had to agree with her then, but not this year. These truly are the best berries I've ever eaten. They are so sweet and juicy and perfect. I think they are a foretaste of Heaven. So yesterday I made 13 jars of freezer jam and strawberry shortcake (rather shortbiscuit as Chris calls it). Hot fluffy biscuits, lucious strawberries and real whipped cream---ahhhhh---exactly how it should be.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Paula! That sounds sooo delicious! Our strawberry season doesn't start for about another month and I'm not going to miss it this year either! You ought to send some of your jam to Debbie to renew her faith in strawberries! :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if all the rain we have had this spring, has contributed to the delicious berries!:-)