Saturday, May 3, 2008

Simplify?

What a busy week it has been! I guess I could say that about every week. I have been trying to paint Chris's office all week, and it's taken me that long. Each day it seems there is something else that needs to be done. I have gotten started around 1 or 1:30 each day, only to have Ben come home at 3:30 and then dinner prep. Finally this morning I worked on the closet and doors. I think I may finish by the end of the weekend.
I feel like I'm bombarded by articles, books, radio shows, etc., that tell me I need to simplify. I need to get rid of the clutter and the business. I sure would like to know how to do that with 4 children. I guess if we just didn't let them participate in sports we would have more time--but probably a whole new host of problems stemming from kids with too much time on their hands. I thought about this this morning as we get set to begin another jam-packed day, and I wondered if simplifying would make my life easier/better. I'm not so sure. In about 10 years things will be MUCH quieter here, but I'm not sure that it will be better. It has taken many years, as Chris can attest, but I think I'm starting to enjoy having the boys involved in things that they love. Isn't that part of my job--to introduce them to things that will challenge them and build them up? So when I start to complain, I'm hoping this will remind me to cherish these days. Each of them is a gift from God. My mother-in-law used to always say, "This is the day the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it." How much better life is when I can have that attitude! happy Saturday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula,

It is best to keep the boys in sports and what they like. It does keep them busy and you, too. It is lots better than them having lots of boring time on their hands.
You definately will miss it when you don't have any more games to go to. The house will really be so empty. You will have to find many other things to keep you and Chris busy.

See you on Thursday.

Love, Mom

Martha said...

And here I am complaining that I'm so busy and I never leave the house with my three little guys! I guess it's a matter of time before I'm in your shoes. It's good to know you are doing what you believe is best for your family.