Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Outdoor Dining

When we lived in Maryland, we had a deck on the back of our house conncected to the kitchen. We ate outside almost every meal all summer. It was wonderful. I would go out there before the boys awakened and just sit and enjoy the early morning. Then we moved here. We have a lovely back yard, but no deck or patio, and the kitchen doesn't open to the back yard. We did have a picnic table for a while and would eat out there sometimes, but never like we had previously. Then, a few years ago, the picnic table finally fell apart. It was splintery to begin with, so none of us were particularly upset by this. But I missed the outdoors. There's something about eating in the fresh air. It makes everything taste better. I tend to linger over my food and conversation instead of finishing and starting the clean up. So yesterday my wonderful husband took me to get some outdoor furniture. We bought a wonderful iron table and chairs. When we got home, I started our picnic lunch while Chris, Peter and Fred put the table together. It was the perfect day. The temperature was in the low 80's with a nice breeze, and the sky was bright blue. The hamburgers had never tasted better. I think dinner lasted about an hour rather than the usual 10 minutes. What a wonderful Memorial Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula,

It was a great day here, too, but we ate inside. We should have eaten outside, too, but it was easier to just eat in the kitchen.
I had even washed off the picnic table. The hot dogs and hamburgers
taste so much better on the grill, whether you eat indoors or outdoors.

Glad that you got a table and chairs. I am sure that you will enjoy many more picnics out there.

Talk with you later.

Love, Mom

liz said...

Wow, enjoy! Eating outdoors is the greatest setting!