Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Baltimore

Mummy at the Walter's Gallery
They did have some armor out!

Fred and Sam pulling at the tug of war. I think Peter and Ben were on the other side. The rope was at different angles on each side. I actually beat Chris at this because of the advantage of the higher rope.
4 Cool dudes waiting for the 3D movie about the ocean. Nice glasses.

I feel as if I'm still a week behind. Having everyone home for spring break made last week very different. We finally made a trip to Baltimore, but we had to squeeze it in between baseball. Thankfully, the rain helped! When I was in college I took a field trip with an art class to the Walter's Gallery in Baltimore. Then, when I had 3 children, an older woman at our church offered another art class, which I gladly participated in, and then she took me to the same gallery. This was about 10 years ago, and I so desperately wanted to take the boys back there. The gallery had a mummy and it had a room filled with armor, swords and various weapons. I knew they would love it. Finally, last week, we made it to the gallery. Many of the suits of armor were in storage, but there were some. It wasn't the field trip I had hoped for, but hoepfully they absorbed SOMETHING as they whisked their way through the halls. We also went to the Maryland Science Center on the Inner Harbor. Now my kids aren't the best museum people in the world. I think Ben and Peter made it through the entire Walter's gallery in 20 minutes. But the Science Center was a different story. It is the best science museum I have been to. We stayed all day, and the guys were actually disappointed when it was time to leave. They hadnt' seen everything yet. If you get the chance to go, it's well worth the cost of admission!

3 comments:

heidiannie said...

Love the 3-D glasses! The boys probably will remember your excursions in ways you don't expect. My sons always tell me stories about stuff that I didn't plan to be the focal point or the lesson at all. "Remember that time we went somewhere and we had a flat tire and had to stop at that gas station next to that little shop that sold..."? Huh? You mean on our trip to Greenfield Village?

Jane Henry said...

I thought the boys looked really "COOL" in the 3-D glasses. I imagine that they weren't able to keep them. I bet that Chris didn't like that you won on the "tug of war". I imagine that the boys did like the armour and the swords. Did they try to get the swords and play with them? Do you remember at Todd's wedding where Phil and Todd were using the swords to pretend they were fighting.
Glad that they had a good time there. Did Ben and Peter see anything with going through it in 20 minutes? Maybe they might remember someting that nobody else saw.

"grandma" toth said...

I guess boys are all alike. I remember taking a group of youth group kids to the H. Ford museum and Greenfield Village on the way to Windsor one summer. Two of the guys actually made it through both places in less than 45 min. and were bored and wanted to leave. I figured they must have RAN through the places!"Your" museum sounds like one I'd like to see someday!