Sunday, February 8, 2009

Beautiful Days

Before.....
After......
Peter finally wanted a hair cut today. We didn't pressure him (well, Ben did), but he finally realized how much he was missing by having his hair in his eyes all of the time.
It's absolutely gorgeous for February 8th. I knew it was going to be warm, so I planned a trip up to D.C. to do some sight-seeing yesterday. My plans all but fell through as other people's plans emerged. We live 50 miles from one of the most beautiful cities around, and we rarely spend time there anymore. Fred had work to do, Ben was on a hike with a friend, Peter and Sam were both at friend's houses. Saturday looked like another wash. Chris had to go to work in Alexandria for an hour, so he told me to go with him. We picked Peter up on the way and headed north. I was poised to take beautiful pictures to post, but my little camera had run out of batteries! I hadn't really used it, but apparently the battery wears out without it being in use. Drat. We hung out in Alexandria, going through revolving doors and exploring the invention museum while we waited for Chris to finish. Then we had a scrumptious lunch at Ruby Tuesdays and took the metro downtown. We went into the National Archives, which I had never, after 20 years here, been in. Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln were there. Imagine our surprise--and me without my camera. But Peter got to talk with them. Then we went to what I thought was the National Gallery of Art. Peter is studying Greece, so we thought we would check out the Greek art and architecture. I went too far to the right, though, and we ended up in the Natural History Museum. We headed for the Greek exhibits, and all but one were under maintenance. We saw amazing gems that only God could design, and we saw the Hope Diamond. None of us were too impressed, but the people shoving into us seemed to be. Then we metroed back to the car and home. It was a fun day, and what a difference having just one child makes! The sunshine and warm weather are beckoning again today. Bring on spring!

6 comments:

LindaSue said...

oh, I LOVE the Archives and the National History Museum. It is just so awesome seeing first hand things I learned about....makes it so much more real! I could spend days at the mall....and that's a mall I enjoy more than ones where people go to shop!

Paula said...

Come visit! The weather is WAY better here anyway and there's no snow. It's about 68 today and sunny!

liz said...

Pete, you look great!

We also love the Archives...

Anonymous said...

Went to the archives years ago with the k ids, late at night and got to see them lower the constitution, etc. into the vault under ground for the night. It was a privilege to see it, as usually they don't let spectators watch, but we got to along with another family with young children. Very impressive! I love sight seeing in DC. Never seem to see the same thing twice.
Pete looks really great!

Anonymous said...

Paula,

I thiought I had commented on this already. Pete's new haircut really looks GREAT. He looks so much better when his hair is cut. Hope that Fred has a terrific last basketball game tomorrow night.

The weather is supposed to be great today as well as tomorrow.

Spring is coming!!!!!

Mom

Martha said...

I'm late posting here, but this past weekend we were in Ottawa and went through some museums. They were nice, but I still love DC's museums better!! I laughed out loud at your comment about the people pushing into you being interested in the Hope Diamond! Those people are everywhere, aren't they?!