Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pooh







Peter's nickname around here is Pooh, for as the bear says, it's always "time for something sweet." He has several sweet teeth (is that how I'd say that), and is keeping his eye out for any chance of candy. While we were at the Natural History Museum, he spotted some children with these huge rocky-looking sticks around the crystal area. It was rock candy. He begged and begged, and begged some more as we walked out and saw all of the ice cream vendors. So I told him that we could make rock candy at home. For the next several days he scoured our bookshelves for the rock candy recipe, giving me some stall time. Finally, we had to look it up on the computer. It was VERY easy but required that we wait 7 days for the crystals to form. Ours look nothing like those huge rocks at the museum, but we had plenty of candy form on the bottom of the glass. Peter was so excited to make and enjoy his own candy. Now each day he comes home and enjoys some of his creation. Ben made some using Peter's leftover syrup, but he added vanilla to his. They both turned out delicious.

4 comments:

LindaSue said...

hey, I was Pooh, too, but not for a sweet tooth (or teeth)...I'm feeling an instant bond to Peter....

liz said...

Good job on the candy. Ours never turned out that nice. (But we all tend toward the fried salty snacks...)

heidiannie said...

We made rock candy when the boys were young- only our rocks grew on strings. I like the skewers much better.
Adding vanilla is another improvement- but I am never going to do this again- unless of course, my grandson wants to!

Martha said...

Sounds like a fun experiment, but I think I'll wait until my boys are closer to Peter's age! :) I love the pictures!