Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day








We went out for Valentine's Day once or twice and decided that we didn't need to sit with hundreds of people we didn't know waiting for that lone table to open up. So we decided a long time ago that we would celebrate at home. For years we celebrated with our friends Liz and Joe. She is a master chef with great ideas, and we would usually whip up things that we didn't normally eat. We would dress up and woo our husbands. It was great fun. We followed them when they moved for one or two years, but then had to give up the tradition. This year we celebrated with an amazing gluten-free feast. I made gf buns that actually turned out along with regular wheat buns for our bacon cheeseburgers. We had crashed potatoes from the Pioneer Woman's web site (at Linda's recommendation). http://thepioneerwoman.com. Chris and I made this most amazing flourless chocolate cake from www.glutenfreeeasly.com. I mean it is to die for chocolate cake. I wish I could have eaten the entire things. I don't have words for how good it was. If you are in need of a fabulous cake, this is the thing for you (and Mom, it'd be great for your birthday!). We capped off the evening with the movie Underdog. Not very romantic, but a. the people I love love it, and b. Chris and I get all next Friday and Saturday alone together.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula,

The chocolate cake does look rich and nice, but it didn't rise too much at all. I guess that is that there is NO FLOUR in it. I don't think that I will try it for my birthday, unless I remember how to cut and paste the directions, since it takes too long to write it out.

Looks like the boys all had candy bars and they were about to eat them. Glad you had a great Valentine's Day. The cheeseburgers
looked good and so did the gf buns.

Mom

heidiannie said...

That chocolate cake looks so deep and rich- Yum! And your gluten free buns - wow- did they raise as high as the wheat buns? We always eat at home on Valentine's day as well- but it is because we are picky and cheap!

Paula said...

They didn't, but they are the best I have tried. They rose higher than I expected. In the picture it is actually cut in half. And you are right about the cake! MMMMM

liz said...

I MISS OUR VALENTINE'S DINNERS! This year for the first time in a very long time Joe and I went out to eat by ourselves at a restaurant. It was wonderful--so good that it probably won't replicate easily and we won't try it again. And that was on the 13th. On the 14th, Joe's parents came over for dinner and we had pizzas from Walmart (feel free to laugh--I am!). I would have rather had your burgers--yummy!

liz said...

Oh, and have fun this weekend!

Martha said...

Looks like a delicious cake, Paula!! We never go out on Valentine's Day either. This year we ate corn dogs at my brother-in-law's. It was great! (So I'm not laughing at your Walmart pizza, Liz! Isn't it supposed to be the thought that counts? :) I'm sure your former Valentine's Day Dinners were fabulous, though!!