Monday, February 23, 2009

What a Weekend

We have never lived closer than about 3 hours to any of our family, and that does make some things more difficult. But God has always put people in our lives to serve as a surrogate family to us. We have dear friends who value time alone as much as we do, and this weekend was our weekend together. Donna and Bryan had our kids overnight on Friday and all day Saturday so that Chris and I could spend some time together. We went to the Maymont Flower and Garden Show in Richmond. I wish I could have posted pictures, but I went without my camera, so you have to settle for a Windows pic. The flower displays were beautiful, and I've been inspired again to try my hand at gardening. I have learned a lot about flowers and soil, but I'm just afraid to put anything into the ground. I guess that reflects my personality--if you can't do it right, then don't do it. I love flowers and veggies, so this year I'm going to give it a try again. I'll keep you posted.
Chris and I had a great time together. We didn't have to break up any arguments or find any lost items for 24 hours. We ate good food, had good conversations, and reconnected some before the busy spring season begins. I'm so thankful for Donna and Bryan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula,

It is really great that you and Donna can babysit each others' kids and get out as a couple, once in a while.

Hope that you will plant flowers and a garden this year. I, too, would love to be able to be more creative in that way, but with our poor soil, and not knowing what to plant where, I will just have to try and see what happens this year. That is, if my bad back holds up.

Glad you had a great time at Maymont. We hope that we can get there soon.

Love, Mom

Martha said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, Paula! How long did it take you to mentally shift over to just the two of you?