Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wednesday update

Well, this morning I was going to post, but I'm glad I waited. Todd, my brother, came up last night so that he could see my dad today. Mom was getting ready at 6:45 this morning when my dad called. He said that he thought he was going to have another grand mal and that she should get in there right away. If you know my dad, you know how that conversation went! I called him soon after they left and he was much better. He had had several scares, though, probably made worse by anxiety. Yesterday they started him on an additional medicine to help control the petit mals, but the warnings on that medicine were absolutely awful. Dad thinks that his throat swelled. He said he felt like he was being strangled this morning. I'm sure it terrified him. He also said he had the nurse from h-e-double toothpick through the night and today. He's working on about 2 hours of sleep per night as well. I was very concerned, but my mom called when she got there and he was much better. I guess he slept for about an hour this morning. They gave him a different medicine today, and he seems fine with it. When I got there at 1, he was sitting in the chair talking and laughing. He was able to get up and down quickly. He had one very minor seizure--he could talk through it and it was about 45 seconds long. But that was the only one he had for the 3 hours I was there, so we are praying that the combination of the medicines will now control the seizures. The neurologist came in today and talked with us. He plans to increase the second medicine over the next several days, but said that if all remains well, Dad can go home Friday. We are so hoping that happens. Today is day 7 at Mary Washington. My biggest prayer request at this point are that Dad would sleep tonight (the neurologist has ordered something to help with this) and that he wouldn't have any more reactions to the medicine he is on now. Thanks so much for thinking of us. Hopefully this saga is almost over. Time for football!

2 comments:

LindaSue said...

Paula, just read what's been going on. You are all in my prayers. Keep us posted as time allows.

liz said...

Thinking of you all and praying....

I'm also praying that all the back-to-school prep goes VERY smoothly!