Sunday, November 7, 2010

Church

Today I was thinking about what I would post, and I did think that I would write about our church--how I appreciate our Pastor's heart for the lost, how the people are so welcoming and affirming etc.  I am still thankful for those things, but today's message just really struck me.  I'm thankful that Darryl is willing to say hard things from the pulpit, challenging us to live authentic Christian lives and to not fake it.  The message this morning was "When I believe in God but don't walk the walk."  I'm challenged to no longer just blend in but to stand out for Christ.  I'm challenged to examine my life, my comforts, my time, to see where I have put Jesus on the back burner.  I'm challenged to listen to God to see where He would have me serve rather than jumping into the deep end with no direction (which is my tendency).  I don't want to live as lukewarm any more and have Jesus say, "I want to spit you out"  (Rev. 3:16)--basically "you make me sick."  Jesus said to the church in Laodicea, "You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realized that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked."  (Rev. 3:20).  I'm thankful for the wake up call because the price of not waking up is very high.

2 comments:

Karla Schlaefli said...

Paula, great thoughts. Amazing how after a sermon I am revved up and ready to go, and by Monday evening I am wondering where the fervor went...Oh Lord, please help us to keep the Sunday challenge alive after work on Monday, and help us be that salt and light in the special capacity you have made us for. Thanks for the reminder, Paula...

Jane MOM said...

Paula,
I don't think that you have ever been luke warm! I am very blessed that you are YOU. I didn't
really set a good "religious background" for you or the boys back then. You have helped me along my path, and I am very greatful for you. Love you!