Thursday, November 4, 2010

Heat

Poor Ginger wishes he could come in and enjoy the heat.  He's tried persistently.  But Bree is allergic, and we like Bree better.

Today it is 47 degrees and rainy.  I'm very thankful for heat.  We live in a house that was retro-fitted for heat about 50 years after it was built.  It has no space under the house--none--no crawl space, no room to fit unless you are a cat.  That means that the heating ducts are in the ceiling, or near it.  Heat rises.  The upstairs is toasty; the downstairs not so much.  Last week Chris suggested we get a portable heater for the kitchen, which tends to be the coldest room in the house, as well as the room where I spend most of my time.  I told him no--it would be fine.  Monday however, I wanted to rethink that decision.  It was COLD!  I couldn't stop shivering, so I resorted to jumping jacks while making breakfast and washing dishes.  Chris also noticed the cold.  He was even more bundled than usual.  About 10:30 he came out to the kitchen with an "ah ha" look on his face.  We hadn't changed our ducts from summer to winter.  In the summer we close all the downstairs ducts to get the air conditioning upstairs.  I had closed all of the upstairs registers when we turned the heat on, but I hadn't thought to do the downstairs.  That made a huge difference, and I could stop doing calisthenics.  It's still never really "warm" but at least it's not cold either.  I'm so thankful for indoor heating! 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi Paula, Just thought I would comment on Ginger's blog. Of course he wants in the nice, warm house. But, maybe if he sees you doing jumping jacks in the kitchen, he will find out that it is cold inside. Glad that Chris opened the heating ducts downstairs. Maybe I should check mine.