Saturday, November 22, 2008


"Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing." Isaiah 40:26
When I was younger, I used to go sit on our porch and stare at the stars. There is something mysterious and magical about the night sky. Fred calls the stars out now the cold stars. It seems that they are so much brighter and more vivid in the winter. It's as if God is rewarding us for braving the cold. I love the verse in Isaiah that says that God knows the names of each of the stars and that He calls them out one by one. When we are sitting out at the edge of night, it does seem that they come out one by one. To think that God created all of them, that they go on and on for farther than we can imagine, and He did it for us, is awe inspiring. I'm thankful for the night sky.

2 comments:

Martha said...

I love this post, Paula! Stephen and I have a special tradition that in the winter we take nightwalks together. There's something about being out in the quiet, cold looking up into the heavens. He did tell me when he was three that he couldn't see Jesus with his flashlight. Here I was ready to go into a biblical teaching moment about where Jesus was, etc, and he blurted out, "If Jesus dropped His shoe on us right now, we'd have to go to the hospital in an ambulance." Teachable moment was over.

liz said...

I also love night skies. If I ever get over photographing sunsets and clouds, I would like to try to learn to capture these.