Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tuesday

It tastes better than it looks!
Yesterday was my birthday. I'm thankful that today is not. Chris took me out for lunch to Panera. I'm thankful for his job and that he can work at home and take a break to be with me. I'm also thankful for this awesome pork chop recipe that I made last night. Honestly, these are the best chops I've had. Here's the recipe.
Pork Chops with Carmelized Onions

4 3/4 inch thick pork chops

1/2 cup marsala wine (I used a charonnay cause that's what I had)

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

8 slices bacon

1 large white onion

7-oz can sliced mushrooms, drained

1 tsp brown sugar

1/3 cup hot water

1 chicken bouillion cube


1. Place pork chops and wine in a gallon-size bag and marinate meat for 2 hours in fridge.

2. Preheat the broiler. Spray broiler pan with non-stick spray.

3. Remove the chops from the marindate and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Set them in the broiler pan.

4. In a large skillet, cook the bacon, drain it on paper toweling, and then crumble it. REserve 2 Tbsp. of the bacon drippings.

5. Add the onions and mushrooms to the drippings in the skillet nad cook over med. heat, stirring occaisionally, until the onion begins to soften.

6. Stir the brown sugar into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until the onions are completely browned.

7. In a small bowl, stir together the water and bouillion until the cube has dissolved. Add this to the onions and boil until the liquid is reduced by half, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.

8. Stir in the bacon.

9. Broil the pork chops for about 5 minutes per side, or just until the meat is cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.

10. Spoon the onion-mushroom mixture over the pork chops and serve.

4 comments:

liz said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! For some reason I was thinking it was the day after Joe's (so whose birthday is that, then?...). Anyway, I hope the rest of your day was as good as what you ate!

Paula said...

It's Amanda Schlaefli's. We had the big three together.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Trust you will have many more blessed years to come.

Martha said...

Happy Birthday, Paula! And thanks for sharing that recipe! It looks delicious and easy. I really want to know what that birthday card in the background says, though. :) Have a wonderful year!