Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sisters

I am the oldest of three. I don't have sisters or daughters (which I'm finding, Martha, affects more things than I ever thought it would). So when I see sisters together, I don't always get it. But everyone needs sisters, and God has put them in my life along the way. First Liz, then Cathy, and now Donna and Kathy. They have been an amazing blessing in my life. Last night Donna and Kathy took me out for my birthday. We had such a good time together. I met Donna and Kathy at MOPS when I was a lonely, pregnant mom with 3 little boys at home. We had just moved here from Maryland where I left all that was familiar. Donna has 3 boys as well, and they soon became fast friends. We traded babysitting so we could date our husbands, and then we started praying together. We've been prayer partners for about 8 years. Kathy, the trailblazer among us with 4 boys and a girl, joined us about 5 or 6 years ago. It's impossible to put into words how much these relationships mean to me. It is a privilege to know these women of God. They challenge and encourage me to live a life worthy of the calling of Jesus Christ. I'm so thankful for my sisters.

3 comments:

liz said...

Thank you Paula! Having sisters, I know that a friend who ranks that high is rare! Isn't God good to give us relationships that normally we'd have to have lived with through all that genetic wrangling in order to enjoy?

Martha said...

I love my sisters, too, but the friends that are like sisters are just as precious at times when my birth sisters aren't near.

You'll have to tell me your thoughts on why not having daughters affects you in so many ways! Spill your wisdom on me, Paula! You're living out my future in many ways! :)

heidiannie said...

I started out with 3 sisters and now I only have one in the flesh. But I am so thankful that God gaveus those bonds of family in Christ so that I can number my sisters in the millions and include so many I haven't had the opportunity to MEET yet- like you! God is good. Sisters are a necessity for life! And daughters can be obtained- I have the most wonderful Daughter in law- don't give up! God has a whole network of women ahead of you!