Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thankfulness




Trick or treat night was beautiful. It was nice enough to go without coats over the costumes. We headed to a neighborhood where friends live since we've only had 1 tricker treater here in the 9 years we've been here. It's just not conducive to door to door. Ben had a friend with him, and two more joined them. I followed 7 boys as they sprinted through the 25 houses in the neighborhood at top speed. I suggested several times that they slow their pace as this was IT for trick or treat, but to no avail. We finished in 20 minutes. Of course, they have enough candy for the rest of the year!


Liz and some other blogger friends are spending the month of November blogging each day about things for which they are thankful. I'm going to join them in that. Too many times I am negative, and I need to cultivate that thankfulness.

I'm thankful that I could work out in my flower bed planting bulbs and digging up things to prepare for winter. I love the results of gardening, but not necessarily the time involved. But today I'm thankful that I could do the work and not be afraid that my back will hurt.

I'm thankful that we could have a bonfire last night with our family and that our children wanted to be with us, roast hot dogs, sing songs, and make "nice, hot shmoes."

I'm thankful that God doesn't treat me as my sins deserve. That would be ugly. God's love and grace and forgiveness are free.




4 comments:

liz said...

I'm thankful with you...

Nice post!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the time with your 'boys'!

Anonymous said...

Paula,

We all have many things to be thankful for. I have three GREAT adults as kids and nine GREAT grandchildren. All are so precious! They grow up too fast, so enjoy them while you can.

Love, Mom

Martha said...

I'm thankful for God's love, grace and forgiveness!!